Coaches must choose their team from the following sources:
1. Blood Bowl Second Season Edition - The Official Rules, plus Spike! Magazine #13 (Khorne), #14 (Norse), #15 (Amazon) and #16 (Vampire).
2. Official “Teams of Legend” PDF (except Norse, Amazon and Vampire) downloadable here:
3. Note: only the NEW Vampire roster as outlined in Spike! Magazine #16 will be accepted at The Big V 2023 - the Vampire roster from the "Teams of Legend" PDF will no longer be accepted.
4. The NAF “Rules for Tournaments from 1st January 2021” PDF (Slann only) downloadable here:
You may spend money on any inducements included in The Official Rules, and these become part of your permanent roster. No Wizards and/or Mercenaries of any kind can be purchased.
Coaches wanting to purchase inducements from the Death Zone companion should contact the TO for approval prior to purchase and submission of their roster. Not all inducements are applicable to Tournament Play, so please check first.
The Big V 2023 tiers have been adjusted , utiliising current NAF tournament data, plus previous results from The Big V tournaments. All teams at The Big V 2023 will now begin in one of the following FOUR Tiers:
Amazon, Chaos Dwarf, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Lizardmen, Norse, Orc, Shambling Undead, Skaven, Wood Elves
Black Orc, Chaos Renegades, Elven Union, High Elf, Human, Necromantic Horror, Slann, Tomb Kings, Underworld Denizens, Vampire
Chaos Chosen, Imperial Nobility, Khorne, Nurgle, Old World Alliance, Snotling*
Goblin, Goblin Bruiser, Halfling, Ogre, Skink, Underworld Goblin
(For the purposes of Star Players and Player Advancements, The Big V 2023 also has a TIER 0)
*Snotlings are still considered a Stunty Team, despite being in Tier 3.
ADDITIONAL STUNTY/TIER 4 TEAMS
The Big V 2023 will reinstate the following Stunty/Tier 4 teams that were last seen back in The Big V 2019, plus add an additional, new Stunty Team:
1. Skinks (aka Stunty Lizardmen): cannot take Saurus but can take Star Players normally available to Lizardmen teams.
2. Underworld Goblins (aka Stunty Underworld): cannot take Skaven but can take the Mutant Rat Ogre (or Underworld Troll) as well as Star Players normally available to Underworld teams.
3. Goblin Bruisers (aka Stunty Black Orcs): cannot take Black Orcs but can take Star Players normally available to Black Orc teams.
Once coaches have drafted their team, they will receive the following Star Player Points to spend on player advancements.
Note, Star Players cannot be given any advancements:
Tier 0: 12 SPP (2 x Primary only*)
Tier 1: 42 SPP (7 x primary or equivalent)
Tier 2: 54 SPP (9 x primary or equivalent)
Tier 3: 66 SPP (11 x primary or equivalent)
Tier 4: 78 SPP (13 x primary or equivalent)
* SPPs available to teams in Tier 0 can only be spent on Primary Skills, and cannot be used to purchase Secondary Skills.
Coaches may spend SPP to purchase the following advancements:
Choose a Primary Skill: 6 SPP
Choose a Secondary Skill: 12 SPP
Improve either MA , PA or AV by 1: 15 SPP
Improve AG by 1: 18 SPP
Improve ST by 1 or Remove a Trait (except Secret Weapon): 24 SPP
Note, multiple advancements (beyond the first) assigned to a single player will not attract additional SPP costs. For example, assigning two primary skills to a single player will cost 12 SPP, assigning three primary skills to a single player will cost 18 SPP, etc
Coaches are free to distribute the SPP between their players as they wish with the following restrictions:
1. No more than FOUR of any one additional skill per team, eg. 4 x Guard or 4 x Block max.
2. As per The Official Rules no player may receive more than SIX additional skills.
3. No player can be given more than ONE Stat improvement (including the removal of a Trait). For example, you cannot build a player with both a +1 ST improvement and a +1 AG improvement, or build a player with both a +1 MV and removal of Take Root.
Teams can hire up to 1 Star Player, except Stunty Teams (Snotlings and all Tier 4 teams) who can hire up to 2 Star Players.
A team must have a minimum of 11 players BEFORE hiring star players.
Note, as per the May 2023 Errata (for more info, visit the Rules page), Star Players that must be hired as a pair (such as Dribl & Drull or the Swift Twins) only count as a single Star Player choice. However, they will still take up two spaces on a team’s Team Roster.
Coaches may only purchase Star Players that feature in The Official Rules, the 2021 Almanac and Spike! Magazine #13 (Khorne), #14 (Norse), #15 (Amazon) and #16 (Vampire).
EACH STAR PLAYER TAKEN BY A TEAM WILL MOVE THAT TEAM UP ONE TIER. THE TEAM WILL NOW USE THE PLAYER ADVANCEMENT SPP ALLOWANCE FOR THEIR NEW TIER.
A Tier 1 team that takes a Star Player will move to Tier 0.
A Tier 2 team that takes a Star Player will move to Tier 1.
A Tier 3 team that takes a Star Player will move to Tier 2.
A Tier 4 team that takes a Star Player will move to Tier 3.
A Stunty Team that takes 2 Star Players will move up two tiers.
The Highlander rule, AKA “There can be only one!” applies to all Star Players at The Big V 2023.
If opposing coaches have selected the same Star Player, the Highlander rule will apply. The Star Player storms off muttering “There can be only one!”, meaning neither team is allowed to field the Star Player in question.
The Star Player will sit out the entire match.
Note: The Mighty Plug is NOT affected by the Highlander rule, and can turn up for both teams, such is his popularity locally!
THE MIGHTY PLUG
Don't forget, as a Victorian legend of the game, The Mighty Plug is available to All Teams! For 220k you too can get that extra bit of muscle on your Line of Scrimmage that you team has been crying out for. Pay the cash and start kicking those little guys around the pitch!
For those who aren't interested in adding Plug to your roster but just want to get your hands on his fabulous miniature, you can order one now! Designed by the amazing UGNI Miniatures and printed by Jester Prints, I can personally attest to the quality of the sculpt and print! Just take a look at the photos below to see for yourself.
And don't forget about the Mighty Plug Painting Competition. Open to all coaches who attend The Big V this November (whether you roster The Might Plug or not), all you have to do is buy the mini and paint him in whatever colour your heart desires. Whether its black and white, brown and gold or navy blue, declare your allegiance today and turn The Mighty Plug mini into your favourite player.
I'll personally judge this comp on the day and will award the prize to the Plug that impresses me the most. It could be as simple as a killer paint job, or a clever theme, I'll leave that up to your imagination. Minor conversions or additions to the mini will be permitted, within reason of course - he still needs to resemble The Mighty Plug in some way...
The Mighty Plug (plus accompanying Star Player card) will be available to buy soon from The Big V store at https://www.bigvbloodbowl.com/new-store